Messianic Prophecy with Audio Series
The Messiah will be Forsaken by His Disciples
The Messiah is Forsaken by His own Followers
Zech 13:7 "Awake, O sword, against
My Shepherd, against the Man who is My Companion," says the LORD of hosts.
"Strike the Shepherd, and the sheep will be scattered; then I will turn My hand
against the little ones.
Matt 26:31 Then Jesus said to them, "All of you will be made to
stumble because of Me this night, for it is written: `I will strike the
Shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.'
John 16:31-33 "Jesus answered them, "Do you now believe? Indeed the
hour is coming, yes, has now come, that you will be scattered, each to his own,
and will leave Me alone. And yet I am not alone, because the Father is with Me."
- Jesus Himself testified that Zech 13:7 refers to His being stricken and the
sheep being scattered.
- "Awake, O sword" reveals that the Lord is in control and allowed His Son
(the Messiah) to be stricken by the Jews.
- Only the Lord can awake the sword against His chosen.
- The main responsibility of the shepherd was to feed and lead, and to
protect his sheep.
- My "Companion" is a reference to the Trinity, it speaks of an equal or
- He whom God calls His neighbor cannot be a mere man, but can only be one
who participates in the divine nature, or is essentially divine. The shepherd of
Jehovah, whom the sword is to smite, is therefore no other than the Messiah, who
is also identified with Jehovah in Zech 12:10; or the good shepherd, who says of
Himself, "I and my Father are one" (John 10:30) (from Keil & Delitzsch
Commentary on the Old Testament).
- To "Strike" means to be put to death.
- When Jesus was smitten everyone forsook Him. They all scattered and He was
- The Lord encouraged His disciples of this event and strengthened them.
- The "little ones" speaks of the least in the flock.
- The hand of Yahweh smote the Shepherd in His wrath, that the same hand of
Yahweh might be extended in grace upon the little ones.
Messianic Prophecy Audio Series with
Shahar from Jerusalem
Forsaken by His Own Disciples - Zechariah 13:7 -
(from the Hebrew perspective)