Psalm 2:7 "I will declare the decree: the LORD has said to Me, `You are My Son, today I have begotten You.
Proverbs 30:4 Who has ascended into heaven, or descended? Who has gathered the wind in His fists? Who has bound the waters in a garment? Who has established all the ends of the earth? What is His name, and what is His Son's name, if you know?Matt 3:17 And suddenly a voice came from heaven, saying, "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased."
Luke 9:35 - And there came a voice out of the cloud, saying, This is my beloved Son: hear him.
Key Points:- Many of the Psalms have references to Christ, and clearly speak of Jesus.
- David was speaking by the Holy Spirit when he said this.- The prophecy was declared as God's decree.
- "You are My Son" refers to the Messiah as the Son of God.- This phrase is applied to Jesus at his baptism (Mark 1:11)
- In the Hebrew the word "Son" was a common designation for the Messiah.- It is very clear that in Jewish circles Messiah would be referred to as the Son of God.
- "today I have begotten you" speaks of His resurrection and preeminence.- The term, begotten, is part of an Oriental formula for adoption used in the Code of Hammurabi.
- Proverbs 30:4 reinforces the concept that the "Son" would have a name. "Ascending into heaven" and descending was also referred to in the New Testament in relation to Jesus.- At the Transfiguration God the Father calls Jesus the Son of God... "This is My Son, Hear ye Him."
Table of Contents
Seed of the Woman
Seed of Abraham
Tribe of Judah
Star of Jacob
Seed of David
Prophet like Moses
Son of God
Resurrected from the Dead
Betrayed by a Friend
Ascend into Heaven
Priest like Melchizedek
Seated at God's Right Hand
Born of a Virgin
Minister in Galilee
Meek and Humble Man
Savior to the Gentiles
He will be Beaten
Establishes a New Covenant
Will have Two Missions
Will Perform Miracles
Will be Jehovah
Born in Bethlehem
Will Come to the Temple
Enter Jerusalem on Donkey
He will be Pierced
Forsaken by His Disciples
Victory over Death
Date of his Death Predicted
Isaiah 52:7 - How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth!
Chart of Some Messianic Prophecies in the Old Testament
Above is a list of some of the prophecies about the Jewish Messiah foretold by the ancient Hebrew prophets. Each section contains first the topic, then the Old Testament prediction, and the New Testament fulfillment. I have included some interesting notes at the bottom of each section PLUS some brief audio commentary by Shahar from Jerusalem, Israel. In the below section Shahar reads the prophecy in Hebrew and then elaborates on it according to the original language.
I highly recommend downloading each MP3 file and adding it to your phone or tablet, and then listening to each one carefully.
Messianic Prophecy Series on Audio
(Download Instructions: Right click on MP3 and choose "save target as")
Would Establish a New Covenant - Jeremiah 31:31-33 - (MP3 File) - Transcribed
(Next: You can use the main image above to follow each prophecy in text and audio)
The Story of the Bible
© Bible History Online (http://www.bible-history.com)